UA-48009635-1 UA-48009635-1

Thursday, July 5, 2012

All My Favorites for Cocktails


When we lived in Richmond, the Mister and I hosted a party a couple years in a row to celebrate the mid-way point of the legislative session. In addition to having an excuse to make a really good crab spread, my favorite part of the party was having a big, eclectic mix of great people in our apartment.

I want to do the same thing here.  We are so very fortunate to have nice people around us in our everyday life. When you're new it is no small affair to have friendly, familiar faces nearby. But there are a fair number of folks whose company I enjoy in print or on a screen a lot. People I sort of feel like I know -- and I definitely like. I wish I could have them all over for cocktails. So in no particular order (and rounded out by my actual friends who would keep me from babbling too terribly much), I'd like to invite the following over for drinks:

Lots of the Times staff writers. Especially the folks who keep me sane while I am shouting at someone to do their homework (why, why, why must it be given out on a Friday afternoon...?) while trying to down a few coffees. Fashion Editor, Laura Craik. Mostly because she worked at Hollister for a day. While wearing Hollister clothes. Robert Crampton. His writing makes me feel like we're already friends and that I know his extended family. Also Fiona Neill, but only if she comes in character as Lucy Sweeney whose school gate sounds miserably hilarious. And of course, Caitlin Moran.

Mary Portas. Maybe she can help me edit my wardrobe while giving straight-shooting advice on my imaginary bookstore/bakery/boutique. Speaking of which, I walked by a combination beauty shop/cafe the other day. Hmmm. That makes my plans look less quirky, frankly. Certainly less prone to health code violations.

Okay. Who else? David and Samantha Cameron. International and domestic issues aside, we might all leave with a hint of what's coming up at Smythson if the conversation goes just so. Less so the Blairs thanks to Cherie Blairs recent rant against mothers toiling away at home. If you can't say something nice...

Prince William and Prince Harry, too. Of course the kiss was great, the dress beautiful and the sun shone at just the right moment, but my very favorite part of The Wedding was seeing those brothers.

The BBC's Nick Robinson. I'd need about a half-term's preparation time to study up on world affairs. Hopefully he'll bring Fiona Bruce, too and Huw Edwards even though they usually appear on different nights.

Graham Norton. The perfect combination of hysterical and gracious. Bitingly funny but never mean. He seems like he could talk to anyone. My kind of guy.

Doesn't it sound like fun?!  You'll have to come, too. I'll let you know when it gets all set.

1 comment:

  1. I will have a G&T, please. The crab dip sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete